As part of their strategic planning activities, many companies regularly review the merits of remaining where they are against the benefits of moving to another location. The option to relocate often becomes a higher profile issue whenever there is a major change in a business’s operations.
There are a multitude of reasons why a business will make the decision to relocate, the most common ones being:-
- Compulsory purchase orders/Lease Termination – Third party influences
- Unsuitability of existing premises – age, configuration, size and/or location
- Process Expansion – lack of space or unsuitability of the site for expansion
- Process Contraction – reduced production foot print due to outsourcing
- Process Optimisation – revised plant configuration due to production improvements
- Workforce Availability – enhanced recruitment/skills availability elsewhere
- Legislation – difficulties in complying with increasingly stringent legislative requirements.
Due to the fact that companies rarely relocate, the vast majority of businesses do not have the necessary experience or skills to research, plan and undertake a relocation project in-house. The pressures already put on a business usually means that existing resources are heavily loaded and the failure costs of a poorly planned / executed by an experienced project management company, working alongside key client staff.
How can PM Group help?
Whilst there are many businesses experienced in general business relocation, the complex requirements associated with the relocation of a manufacturing facility calls for a wider range of specific skills. Since our inception in 1978, we have carried out a number of business/factory relocation exercises, (including the relocation of our own Head Office in 2006). It is our 40 years of multi-sector Engineering Design and Project Management experience that makes us a clear choice when looking for support to relocate your production facility.
- Site relocation requires the need for practical and experienced support to plan and assist in the execution of the transition. PM Group is a nationally recognised Project Company with proven experience of factory/site relocations.
- Relocations require a specialised and experienced team to ensure that they run effectively and efficiently. Failure to execute a factory relocation in a planned and cohesive manner could be catastrophic for a business and as such it represents one of the highest risk activities that a client can face
- PM Group can carry out the planning required to ensure a smooth change from existing to new, with minimal disruption to the rest of the business.
- The requirement for attention to risk management, clear project definition and planning cannot be overstated; these factors are at the heart of our factory relocation approach
- Successful site relocation specialists such as PM Group will always recognise the need to maintain continuity of service to customers and cause as little disruption as possible to the business in terms of its customers, employees and other stakeholders.
PM Group ensures that all relocation projects are delivered through adopting a staged approach to the development, planning and implementation phases. Key elements of our approach includes:-
Establish a clear set of objectives & strategies
At the heart of this is the development of an assignment execution plan, a project quality plan, a communication strategy (internal and external) and the assignment of responsibilities to the key stakeholders.
Project definition, planning and risks
Key to the success is the establishment of a common understanding of what the relocated facility will comprise of. This is distilled into a User Requirement Specification (URS) for approval by all stakeholders. Once approved, the URS will be used as the basis for defining the costs, programme and risks.
Where there is a requirement to relocate or modify the facility, we can take on the responsibility for any/all planning and environmental permitting aspects, either totally or in support of the client’s team.
Design and Construction
As a multi-disciplined Engineering and Project Management business, we take on all elements of the required designs to allow the relocation to take place. This includes taking responsibility for all Health and Safety aspects, (including CDM 2015 requirements).
All of the above activities count for nothing if there is not a carefully considered and executed transition plan in place. We will create, manage and execute the transition from the existing operation to the new / revised facility.
Testing and Commissioning
We establish testing / commissioning plans and methodologies early in the relocation project planning phase and we can provide and/or supervise commissioning resource managed by our experienced Project & Construction Managers. This phase of the project is often carried out by a team comprising of PM Group Engineers and the client’s operations team working collaboratively to get the new facility into production safely and efficiently.
Site Decommissioning and Disposal (Existing)
We can manage all aspects of any decommissioning required along with dealing with any residual environmental issues that may arise.
Factory Relocation projects are complex activities with multiple stakeholders and interfaces to manage. We advocate early engagement on a confidential basis to allow us to influence and ‘shape’ the process from the very start. Our style is to integrate with client and effectively operate as an extension of their own Management / Engineering teams.
If you would like to know more about this service, please use the ‘Online Enquiries’ button at the top of the page or call us on +44 1928 752 500 and speak to a member of our Business Development Team.